Evacuation orders issued in west central NSW as rain records are broken

Heavy rain and thunderstorms are expected to ease on Sunday, but not before causing widespread flooding in New South Wales and parts of Queensland.

Overnight, the NSW south coast was hit by a soggy downpour, with Ulladulla registering over 90mm in gauges since 9am on Saturday.

As emergency evacuation orders have been issued in west central New South Wales after rain records were broken in Dubbo earlier on Saturday.

Heavy rain and thunderstorms are expected to ease on Sunday, but not before causing widespread flooding in New South Wales and parts of Queensland (weather zone)

Residents of the Western Plains Tourist Park were told to evacuate immediately just before 2 a.m. “because floodwater inundation is imminent” and an evacuation center was set up at the Dubbo Showground.

Although it was only October, Dubbo has now recorded its wettest year in 49 years, with around 882mm recorded up to 4pm on Saturday.

In Bathurst, the race on Mount Panorama was thrown into chaos, after the Top 10 shootout was canceled due to torrential downpour.

The regional town received more than a month of rain in a matter of days.

There are more than 60 flood warnings in place across NSW, covering western parts of the state, in the mid-west, Hunter, Hawkesbury-Nepean, south coast and Illawarra.

A deluge of rain hits Sydney, with residents bracing for conditions to intensify overnight.
A deluge of rain hits Sydney, with residents bracing for conditions to intensify overnight. (9News)

Meanwhile, the deluge hit Sydney on Saturday afternoon and residents were urged to prepare for conditions to intensify throughout the night.

A damaging trough in New South Wales, first triggered in the west of the state, has flooded several areas.

New South Wales Premier Dominic Perrottet said on Saturday afternoon that the state was in a situation where dams and rivers are full and warned residents.

“With heavy rain expected, we ask everyone to continue to be cautious,” he said.

Hundreds cry for help as heavy rain rolls through NSW

“If these flood warnings are in place, please continue to follow instructions, be prepared to be ready if an evacuation is required.

“Especially on the roads, not just in Sydney but across the state, be careful.”

However, the worst may be yet to come, with another system expected to cross the state on Wednesday.

“We are only eight days into storm season and unfortunately we are seeing continued flooding across New South Wales,” said Emergency Services Minister Steph Cooke.

“He should do that for weeks and months to come.”

Showers to briefly relieve

The latest flurry of storms is caused by a developing low pressure system, which will dissipate on Sunday and Monday.

Meteorologist Dean Narramore said the trough is fueled by tropical humidity, with steep drops expected to make flash flooding worse.

“Extensive areas, particularly for our inland NSW flooded areas, (could reach) 30-50mm with isolated falls of 80-100mm possible,” he predicted on Saturday. , with more to come.

The Narramore warning comes as residents near the Hawkesbury-Nepean rivers face a possible fifth flood in 18 months.

The Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) said there is a minor to major risk of flooding along these communities.

Wet weather will return to Sydney from tonight, with communities in Western Sydney on high alert.
Sydney prepares for its ‘Danger Day’ as heavy rain looms. (Wolter Peeters)

Weatherzone said this latest cycle of rain and storms is due to a cold front that is “harvesting abundant tropical moisture, which had already made its way south from northern Australia.”

“The situation is likely to become extremely serious over the weekend, with heavy rain again forecast over a wide area, particularly on Saturday, and particularly north of the Murray River,” the weather service added.

Weather warnings are in place for parts of Queensland, with heavy rain possible in areas such as Maranoa Warrego and the mid-west districts, extending to the Darling Downs.

There is also a risk of minor to moderate flooding in a number of catchments in western and southwestern Queensland as the system pushes east.

The areas around Bulloo and the Paroo River are of particular concern.

The cleanup begins in Victoria

Eastern Australia are currently struggling with their third consecutive La Nina, which is expected to weaken in early 2023.

Meanwhile, Victoria SES continues to clean up after a severe storm hits the city.

Cars have been stranded in floodwaters in southern Melbourne. (New)

State agency commander Geb Abbott said Victoria had “seen the worst” of the rain, but further flooding is still possible as water flows into catchments.

“Called both flooding, building damage and downed trees,” she said.

“Unfortunately, we have to respond to vehicles that have been stuck in flood waters.

“A reminder for all areas experiencing flooding – please do not drive through flood waters, it may be one of the last things you do.

“We are still seeing water flowing through wet catchments. Flooding will occur in many areas. Crews are still ready and ready to respond and continue to engage with communities still at risk of impact.”